Popular Posts

Wednesday 4 January 2017

Robin Lakoff (1975) - gender theory

Robin Lakoff created a list of female traits of language in 1975:

1. Hedges: phrases like 'sort of', 'kind of', or 'it seems like'.
2. Empty adjectives: 'diving', 'adorable', 'gorgeous'
3. Super-polite forms: 'would you mind if...', 'is it okay if...'
4. Apologise more: 'i'm sorry, but i think that...'
5. Speak less frequently
6. Avoid course language or expletives.
7. Tag questions: 'you dont mind eating that do you?'
8. Hyper-correct grammar and pronuncication: use of prestige grammar and clear articulation .
9. Indirect requests: 'i'm so thristy' - really asking for a drink.
10. Speak in italics: use tone to emphasis certain words, e.g. 'so', very', 'quite'.

The main critique to Robin Lakoff and her theory is that it cannot be applied to medern times as this was 40 years ago and is outdated and roled of women have changed and are now more equal. She also used phrases such as 'many men' in her findings which shows a lack off statistical evidence to back up her theory.

8 comments:

  1. I think this is an informative post and it is very useful and knowledgeable. therefore, I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. bakırköy ingilizce kursları

    ReplyDelete
  2. i used this to help me and then my english teacher hit me, cheers rich

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. U good bro, why did they hit u?

      Delete
    2. hey, you good now?

      Delete
    3. hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

      Delete
  3. This is good to remember for my exam

    ReplyDelete
  4. Used this for revision for my exam and my teacher set my paper on fire in the middle of the exam hall in front of everyone. they all laughed, not happy.

    ReplyDelete